Why ISU Credit Union?
ISU Credit Union History
In 1951, a group of individuals from various backgrounds started holding meetings to evaluate the idea of forming a credit union on the campus of Idaho State College. They wanted a campus credit union because most people were living from paycheck to paycheck and the member-owned, people-helping-people nature of credit unions appealed to them. They wanted a self-help program where they could visit with and be judged by their peers, not the corporate world. They also wanted convenience and a family atmosphere. In meeting with the NCUA and with the help and support of the Manager of the Union Pacific Railroad Credit Union, the Idaho State College Federal Credit Union was formed on April 10, 1952. The name was subsequently changed to Idaho State University Federal Credit Union in 1963 when the college gained university status and changed its name accordingly.
Until 1969, the field of membership was limited to faculty and staff of the University and their families. Today, the field of membership has expanded to include Idaho State University students and alumni, and the faculty, staff, and students of many southeastern Idaho school districts, as well as their family members. A number of businesses in SE Idaho have also chosen to affiliate with ISU Credit Union and offer their employees the benefit of membership.
Today ISU Credit Union's assets exceed $130 million and we serve over 18,000 members around the world.